Learning to Program with VB.NET
Click here for information regarding remote access training.
Students Will Learn:
- Using Visual Studio to create VB.NET applications
- Working with the .NET data types
- Creating variables with the proper scope and using operators to build complex expressions
- Using control structures such as If, Do While and For
- Using procedures to build complex applications
- Designing and using classes
- Using arrays and .NET collections
- Throwing and trapping exceptions using the VB.NET Try and Catch statements
- Using ADO.NET classes to access databases
- Working with files and directories
- Building simple Windows Forms applications
- Building and using derived classes
- Defining and implementing interfaces
- Performing advanced string manipulation
Course Description: This hands on VB.NET programming course provides an introduction to programming using the VB.NET language. Students are introduced to the application development cycle, structure of programs, and specific language syntax. The course also contains "Thinking Like a Programmer" sections that provide students insight on how to develop common algorithms. The course covers console and file I/O, string and character manipulation, managing data using collections and fundamental object-oriented programming concepts. Error handling techniques are also emphasized. The course also introduces how to access databases using ADO.NET and illustrates how to build user interfaces using Windows Forms. Comprehensive hands on exercises are integrated throughout to reinforce learning and develop real competency.
This class is intended for non-programmers. Students who already understand fundamental structured programming and object-oriented techniques should attend either ASP.NET 4.5 Web Forms Programming Using Visual Basic.NET, Windows Forms 4.5 Programming Using Visual Basic.NET or Windows Presentation Foundation Programming Using Visual Basic.NET instead of this more introductory course.
Course Prerequisites: Familiarity with computers.
Learning to Program with VB.NET Course Overview:
|Application Development Fundamentals
||Managing the Flow of an Application
|Working with Data
||Using Procedures to Modularize Code
|Working with Data Collections
||Building Inheritance Hierarchies
|Building GUIs with Windows Forms
||Accessing Databases Using ADO.NET
||Working with Files, Directories and Streams
|Working with Strings
||Building N-Tier Applications
"Excellent class. As usual, the course was setup in such a way that it was easy to understand and the materials were useful for the tasks I will be using at my present job."
L.O., Prevention Genetics