Windows Forms 4.0 Programming For Experienced Visual Basic.NET Programmers
Click here for information regarding remote access training.
Students Will Learn:
- Creating desktop-based applications
- Using control properties and methods to modify the appearance and behavior of controls
- Writing event handlers to respond to user interactions
- Using list-based controls such as ListBoxes and ComboBoxes on forms
- Using image controls such as ImageList and PictureBox on forms
- Accessing and displaying data using ADO.NET
- Binding data to controls on a Windows Form
- Using modal and modeless dialogs to interact with users
- Using the background worker to perform an asynchronous operation
- Implementing a simple host for a WCF service
- Reading and writing data from files and streams
- Deploying .NET applications
Course Description: This course provides students with hands on experience using Visual Studio to create desktop applications using Windows Forms and the .NET 4.0 Framework using Visual Basic.NET. Students should already have a working knowledge of VB.NET.
This course teaches students how to leverage the power of the .NET Framework to build desktop applications. Students learn how to build Windows Forms applications and use with a variety of controls to create sophisticated user interfaces. Students also learn how to use the BackgroundWorker to perform asynchronous operations.
Students also learn how to use ADO.NET to interact with databases and XML files. Students learn how Windows Forms uses data binding to display data in controls such as the DataGridView and Chart. Students also learn how to build and interact with simple WCF SOAP Web Services.
Other topics include: debugging techniques; using a .config file to control application configuration; building menus, toolbars and status bars; reading and writing files; interacting with the file system; and deploying desktop applications.
The course also presents differences in functionality and tools utilized in versions 4.0 and 4.5 of the .NET Framework. Comprehensive labs provide the students with extensive experience creating and deploying Windows Forms-based desktop applications.
This course provides thorough coverage of the use of Windows Forms to build desktop applications. Students requiring additional coverage of Windows Presentation Foundation, ASP.NET Web Forms, ASP.NET MVC or WCF should contact HOTT or refer to HOTT's complete course listing for additional training courses.
Students unfamiliar with the VB.NET language should take the 5-day Windows Forms 4.0 Programming Using VB.NET class instead.
Course Prerequisites: Prior experience with Visual Basic.NET is required.
Follow-up Course: Advanced .NET Framework Programming Using VB.NET
Windows Forms 4.0 Programming For Experienced Visual Basic.NET Programmers Course Overview:
|Windows Forms Applications
||Performing Asynchronous Activities
||Working with Forms
|Working with Menus, Toolbars and Status Bars
||Working with Files and Directories
|Introduction to WCF Web Services
||Deploying Windows Forms Applications